Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Brennan Going In For Surgery


It's official. Brennan will be going in for surgery Monday morning. We were hoping they would be able to do the total repair but the surgeons and cardiologists have decided that a BT Shunt would be the best thing for him right now. Janalee and I are already very nervous and scared for Brennan. The surgery has been around for a long time and I have the utmost confidence in the cardiologists and surgeons that will be working on Brennan. The good news is that they are going through his side and between his ribs so they don't have to cut through his sternum. They also don't have to put him on a heart lung machine which is great. The bad news is that this is still major surgery and there's always a risk. Please remember Brennan in your prayers. The total repair surgery will now be delayed for another 6 months or so. During this time the added blood flow to the pulmonaries will help them grow.

We are hoping to get him home before Thanksgiving without the need of Oxygen. We are very grateful to have Brennan here with us. He is such a special little baby and we love him so much. We are also grateful that Brennan's heart defect can be fixed. There are so many children born with heart defects that can't be operated on due to their complexity or other complications in the body. My heart goes out to families like the Bowmans. Their son Stephen was born with a defect very similar to Brennan's and the outcomes are totally different. I can't imagine the heartache this family is going through. I'm amazed at their strength and courage.

7 comments:

The Hood's said...

Best of luck to each of you throughout this difficult time. Heavenly Father and His angels will be taking care of little Brennan, and watching over you as well!
Alex's first surgery was also done via thoracotomy (although the procedure was different), and he was only in the hospital for 5 days. These little ones are so resillient!

The Wrights said...

Hang in there.. I know we are not the closest of friends. But your little family and Brennan have been in our prayers. I put Brennan's name in the St. George Temple the other day! Stay strong. Love ya

Cottam Family said...

He will definitley be in our prayers. We love you guys!

carolyn q said...

I can't imagine the disappointment you are feeling that he will be having two surgeries, as this wasn't what you were hoping for.
I trust that the doctors understand Brennan's needs and would not do anything to jeapordize the BIG picture in helping him have a healthy life.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
(HUGS)

Unknown said...

We'll be thinking about you guys and prayin' for ya like crazy!! I know things will turn out well. BTW, saw pics on Tiff's blog. LOVE them. So adorable!

Little Bear and Peanut said...

Hugs and prayers. I know how hard the days leading up to the surgery can be. Brennan is adorable and he will be in great hands.

Chablis said...

You two have such strength...I'm in awe. We pray for you every day and I put your name in the temple up here. Heavenly Father is watching over your sweet family! I know that for sure. We love you and I LOVE that picture!